See our list of emergency homeopathic remedies. Homeopathic remedies stimulate a person’s (or animal’s) innate healing ability. Homeopathy is recognized by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a safe, gentle, deep-acting modality useful in the treatment of a wide variety of medical conditions.
Homeopathy, also called homeopathic medicine, Is a holistic and natural approach to treatment of medical conditions. This method of healing is practiced in countries around the world and is the preferred method used by the British Royal family. Homeopathy treats the whole patient and does not focus directly on the medical condition itself. There are three basic principles in homeopathic medicine: like cures like and the use of a minimum dose and single remedy.
Principles of Homeopathy
‘Like cures like’ is the guiding principle of homeopathy. A detailed interview is conducted during the initial assessment of the patient, the objective of which is to identify the patient’s physical, psychological, and emotional characteristics or complaints. A remedy is then selected based on the homeopathic remedy whose characteristics are most similar to those reported by the patient. A reference called the Homeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory catalogues the characteristics of each remedy and is often referred to in the selection of the best remedy. There are also online resources available to assist in remedy selection.
The ‘minimum dose’ principle addresses minimizing side effects by performing a series of dilutions and vigorous agitation of the remedy until there is no detectable chemical substance left. Despite this, the solution contains the energetic imprint of the original medicinal substance.
The ‘single remedy’ principle states that only one remedy should be used at a time. If the correct remedy has been matched to the patient’s condition, the single remedy is all that is needed. You may have noticed that some homeopathic products contain more than one remedy. While this is not ideal, it offers the patient the opportunity to purchase a product off the shelf without the assistance of a homeopathic practitioner. These products address a variety of causes of common complaints (e.g., cough, teething discomfort, etc.) and therefore have a higher potential for success than a single remedy selected by an untrained individual.
Homeopathy is FDA Approved
Homeopathic medicine has been recognized by the US FDA since 1938. Homeopathic remedies are produced from natural sources (plants, minerals, animal sources) and are recognized in the US FDA Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States. Homeopathic remedies can be purchased at some drug stores, health food stores, and online.
Recommended Homeopathic Remedies and Kits
We keep a homeopathic remedy kit for use with the dogs and humans in our household and have found these remedies to be highly effective. Dogs Naturally offers an 18-remedy kit and an online homeopathy training program with manual (http://offers.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/homeopathy/ ). You can also purchase individual remedies to make your own kit. Wendy Volhard recommends the following remedies as a good starting point for your kit (http://www.volhard.com/uploads/homeopathic-kits-web-page-info.pdf).
* Arnica: Bruising from falls and dog bites and recuperation from any operation
* Belladonna: Heat stroke, hot, red ears, and hot spots
* Carbo Veg: Bloating or gas (settles the stomach if used 15 minutes before eating)
* Chamomilla: Vomiting of yellow bile and teething problems
* Ferrum Phosphoricum: Stops bleeding
* Hydrophobinum (or Lyssin): Reactions to rabies vaccine
* Hypericum: Stops pain to nerve endings after injury or operations
* Ignatia: Grief, insecurity, stress, or sadness
* Ledum: Tick, insect, or spider bites
* Nux Vomica: Any kind of poisoning; recuperation after anesthesia
* Phosphorus: Sound sensitivity
* Rhus Toxicodendron (poison ivy): Rheumatism and itchy, oozing rashes
* Sulphur: Skin conditions and mange
* Thuja: Reactions to vaccines
* Rescue Remedy: This is a Bach Flower Remedy in a liquid form. Use for stress and or trauma (We always carry it when we travel with our dogs.)
Volhard Dog Nutrition also offers the booklet Emergency Use of Homeopathic Remedies for Pets (https://goo.gl/4KFDvt)