Cat people just seem to know how to approach a cat, but dog people sometimes need a little help!
Greeting CATequette. ‘First date’ Do’s and Don’ts
- Use food or a toy to entice the cat to interact
- Try a slow, intentional blink to signal that you don’t mean any harm
- Don’t make the first move!
- Don’t make eye contact!
- Don’t grope the cat!
- Don’t hover!
When it comes to touching…
- When petting, use an gentle, open hand and keep to the back, shoulders, neck and top of head
- Allow the cat to decide if you can touch or hold!
- Don’t poke, pull, or grab
- Don’t touch paws, tail or tummy!
- Don’t make sudden moves, grab, or restrain the cat!
Thanks to our friend Dr. Karen Becker with Mercola Healthy Pets for these hints. Read more about proper CATequette.